Academy of Fencing Masters is a foil and epee academy. AFM conducts structured fencing classes for kids, youth and adults as well as individual private fencing lessons. Composed of 5 levels, from Introduction and beginners to competitive fencers, each level develop areas, such as:
- Physical condition and endurance
- Agility, eye-hand-foot control and balance
- Fencing skills, such as foot and bladework
- Ability to see, understand and direct a
- Social and sportsmanship skills
- Strategic and tactical skills
- Self control, confidence and mental skills
- Competitive performance
Each level length of AFM fencing lessons program individually varies for each athlete depending on fencer’s physical, mental or technical condition.
The following chart illustrates the progression of the program:
- Introduction to Fencing | Program of 4 fencing lessons
- Beginners | Typical program length 6-9 months
- Intermediate | Typical program length 9-12 months
- Advanced | Typical program length 12-18 months
- Competitive | To the Olympics and beyond!
|Program||Consists of||Typical Program Duration||Program Cost|
|Introduction to Fencing||1 group fencing class/week||4 classes/4 weeks||$95|
|Beginners||1 group fencing classes 1.5h/week||6-9 months||$225/month|
|Intermediate||2 group fencing lessons 1.5 h /week||9-12 month||$345/month|
|Advanced||3 group fencing lessons 1.5h /week||12-18 month||$420/month|
|Competitive||4 group fencing lessons/week: 2h/3x week + 1.5h/1x week||Hopefully, to the Olympics and beyond||$515/month|
When a new fencer signs up for any group class (except for the Introduction to Fencing) there is one time sign up fee of $40
Fencing Classes Schedule
The latest detailed schedule of all fencing classes and lessons is available for download here.
AFM is closed on the following days:
○ September 7, 2020 – Labor Day – Both Locations
○ November 26, 2020 – Thanksgiving – Both Locations
○ December 24-25, 2020 – Christmas – Both Locations
○ December 31, 2020 and January 1, 2021 – New Year’s Eve and Day – Both Locations
○ May 31, 2021 – Memorial Day – Both Locations
○ July 4, 2021 – Independence Day – Both Locations
The Academy of Fencing Masters policies define and set expectations between AFM and its members, in such areas as payment, cancellations, private lessons, vacations, membership, discounts and others. These policies set clear, fair and simple relationship and expectations between both parties. The list of updated policies is located here.
Important COVID-19 Information
- All AFM programs (classes, private lessons and other activities) are conducted in strict compliance and in full accordance with Santa Clara County Health Order and approved by the Santa Clara County Health Officials
- All AFM programs are following AFM Safe Shield Protocol. In particular
- All classes are limited to the stable cohorts of 12 people
- Parents/guardians are not allowed to enter the facilities
- Proper sanitation protocols are in place
- Every class, except the last class in the day and Introduction to Fencing, is shortened by 15 minutes to allow safe and separate check out of the previous class, check in of the new class and cleaning of the facility’s sharing objects
- Currently AFM maintains a hybrid approach – both in person and online program for classes and private lessons. If you are interested in joining any of the programs please contact us.
Purchasing any class at AFM is easy and can be done via credit card online or by credit card in person at the club.
AFM classes are good for the specified length of time at the time of purchase. The classes will be automatically renewed at the 1st of each month. The first payment is prorated and includes one time setup fee of $40.
Introduction to Fencing class is not automatically renewed.
USA Fencing Membership
Per USA Fencing requirements, every fencer that registers for the beginner level must become a member of USA Fencing to be covered by insurance. New fencers should register at USA Fencing here. Non-competitive USA Fencing membership costs $10 per fencing season. Fencers can upgrade to the USA Fencing competitive membership level prior to first competition ($75 per season).