So often we find it difficult to even find the words to say to help our children to feel good about themselves, especially those high achievers who put so much effort into everything that they do and who you find yourself being proud of so much of the time. Parents struggle sometimes to come up with what we need to say when our kids do great things, particularly those everyday great things. Usually we end up just saying the same old things – “Good Job!” or “I’m Proud of You!”. While these are certainly good things to say, you’ll find that the more specific you are and the more able you are to talk about WHY you think they’re great, the better.
Here are 99 (yes ninety-nine!) ways that you can encourage your young fencer! We’ve broken them out to give you some ideas about when to say them too, just in case you needed some more inspiration. Have fun!
When They’re Struggling
21. Keep working
22. Keep on Trying
23. You’re getting better
24. I’m here for you
25. You’ve come a long way
26. Keep up the good work
27. One more time and you’ll have it
28. You’ve tried really hard
29. I love your determination
30. Make it happen!
31. I’m glad you’re trying your best
32. You’ve almost mastered it
33. How can I help you with this?
34. That’s coming along nicely
35. You’re growing
36. That’s much, much better
37. What an improvement
38. You’re improving
39. You’re learning a lot
40. You have my complete support
When They Finally Master a Skill
41. I knew you could do it
42. You nailed it
43. Right on!
44. Now you’ve got the hang of it
45. Nothing can stop you now
46. You’ve figured it out!
47. Aren’t you proud of yourself?
48. You’ve got it down pat
49. You’ve figured it out
50. Beautiful work
51. Can you show me how to do that?
52. That’s the best you’ve ever done
53. Let’s show this to everyone
54. You figured that out fast
55. You came through again
56. Now you have it
57. Be proud of yourself
58. Seriously amazing
59. How does it feel to be so awesome?
60. You’ve worked hard on this!
61. Perfect 10
62. Couldn’t have performed it better myself
63. Exactly right
64. Awesome work
65. Fine work
66. Good for you
67. Great thinking
68. You don’t miss a thing
69. That’s really nice
70. You make it look easy
71. You’re on target
72. Best yet
73. SUPER DUPER
74. Nothing can stop you now
75. You must have been practicing
76. You’ve got your brain in gear today
77. That’s what I call great
78. Keep it up
79. You’re really going to town
80. That’s the best ever
At the End of the Day
81. I’m proud of the way you worked today
82. I’ve never seen anyone try harder
83. You really excelled today
84. Seeing your growth makes me happy
85. You’re getting better every day
86. You certainly did well today
87. I didn’t realize how great you are
88. You did a lot of work today
89. You outdid yourself today
90. Everyone thought you were great
91. I can’t wait to see how great you will be tomorrow
92. You’re on your way to great things
93. You were on top of it today
94. I see the growth in you every day
95. How can you be so awesome every day?
96. I’m so glad that I get to watch you
97. Tomorrow will only be better
98. Today was above and beyond
99. I was really impressed with you today
What words of encouragement do you use with your young fencer? My kids LOVE word “epic”: Mom, did you see my epic parry?” – “Yes! It was MAGNIFICENT!”
Wait, did I just add #100? 🙂